What Is Confirmation?
The purpose of Confirmation at Redeemer Lutheran Church is to partner with parents in order to help their children in confirmation:
- Receive careful instruction in the basic teachings of the Bible as drawn from Luther’s Small Catechism. These chief parts drawn from Scripture are the 10 Commandments, the Apostle’s Creed, the Lord’s Prayer, Holy Baptism, Confession and Absolution & the Office of the Keys, and the Lord’s Supper.
- Prepare for a public confession of the faith first given to them in Baptism by the washing of regeneration in the Holy Spirit (Titus 2) and to affirm that this congregation believes, teaches, and confesses this faith as drawn from the Word of God and the Catechism.
- Prepare to participate in the Lord’s Supper having thoroughly studied what God Word and the Catechism teaches concerning this gift of God’s forgiveness of sins given in, with, and under bread and wine.
- Grow in the faith given to them in Baptism by laying a foundation for the whole Christian life. (In other words, Confirmation is not graduation!)
- Continue in their regular attendance of the Divine Service where God serves His people in Word and Sacrament.
- To reaffirm the promises given to them in Baptism and therefore pledge to live godly lives according to the Word of God by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Rejoice in fellowship of the body of Christ, the Church, as they are gathered together with fellow confirmands, their pastors, and members of the congregation by their Savior for life together under the blessings of the cross.
Between September and June, confirmands (students in confirmation class) meet once a week for two years to study the Scriptures and Martin Luther’s Small Catechism. It is the current practice of this congregation to combine young adult study of the Scriptures with preparation for Holy Communion; after successfully completing the two-year cycle the confirmand is admitted to the Lord’s Table. Parents are encouraged to be active participants in the confirmands’ learning and are invited to sit in on weekly classes. Confirmands usually begin classes as they enter the sixth or seventh grade in consultation with Pastors and parents. Opportunities to tutor students and help in the pastors’ instruction of the confirmands are available. This year confirmands meet Sundays, 9:30 to 10:30 AM.
Contacts: Pastor Jim Toma